Vermont Arts Council and Vermont Humanities award $ 1.16 million in grants with federal funds to 144 nonprofits in culture, humanities and the arts

MONTPELIER, VT – To offset the continued economic fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic, the Vermont Arts Council and Vermont Humanities have provided $ 1.16 million in recovery funding to 144 arts and humanities organizations in Vermont as part of a collaborative program.

The Covid-19 Cultural Recovery Grant Program was initiated by the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 and funded by the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH).

Arts and / or humanities organizations incorporated in the State of Vermont with 501 (c) (3) tax exempt status were eligible to apply for the grants, which covered general operating or project expenses of $ 5,000 to $ 15,000 depending on the size of the organization. The Covid-19 Cultural Recovery Grant Program provided funding to 72% of applicants.

In 2020, the two organizations jointly provided more than $ 780,000 in Covid-19 emergency relief grants to 123 cultural organizations. The Arts Council also oversaw $ 5 million in economic stimulus grants awarded by the Vermont state legislature in July 2020 to further support Vermont cultural organizations.

Vermont arts and culture nonprofits continue to struggle to survive the costly punch of the pandemic. The 197 Vermont cultural organizations that applied for the most recent grant program reported a loss of revenue of $ 36 million since March 2020.

Vermont’s broader creative sector, which includes arts and culture nonprofits as well as creative businesses, provides more than 40,000 jobs per year and accounts for 9.3% of all jobs in Vermont, above average national.

“The cultural sector is poised to help Vermont recover, but arts and culture nonprofits are still struggling,” said Karen Mittelman, Executive Director of the Arts Council. “American Rescue Plan Act funds provide essential support to ensure that our museums, theaters, galleries and studios will be there for Vermont when the worst of this pandemic is behind us, to bring us together, inspire us and empower our people. communities to thrive again.

“Vermonters in all 14 counties, in the towns of Canaan in Bennington and Brattleboro in Grand Isle are benefiting from this desperately needed funding provided by NEH and NEA,” said Christopher Kaufman Ilstrup, executive director of Vermont Humanities. “We are grateful for the support shown by our delegation to Congress in ensuring that the cultural sector is not forgotten. “

A total of $ 135 million in US Rescue Plan (ARP) funds have been allocated to both NEH and NEA, with 40% of funds to be distributed to state, jurisdictional, and regional arts and humanities organizations. to be redistributed through their respective funding programs. The remaining 60 percent of the ARP money is allocated by the NEA and NEH directly to nonprofits to help the field in its response and recovery after the Covid-19 pandemic.

For a list of Recovery Grant recipients, visit www.vermontartscouncil.org/culturalrecovery on the Vermont Arts Council website, or www.vermonthumanities.org/2021-recipients on the Vermont Humanities website.

About the Vermont Arts Council
The Vermont Arts Council envisions a Vermont where everyone has access to the arts and creativity in their life, education, and community. Commitment to the arts transforms individuals, connects us more deeply to each other, energizes the economy, and sustains the vibrant cultural landscape that makes Vermont a great place to live. Since 1965, the Council has been the state’s premier provider of funding, advocacy and information for the arts in Vermont. Learn more at www.vermontartscouncil.org

About Vermont Humanities
A state-wide non-profit organization founded in 1974, Vermont Humanities seeks to engage all Vermonters in the world of ideas, foster a culture of reflection, and inspire an enduring love of reading and reading. learning. Learn more at www.vermonthumanities.org

###

VTDigger press releases are provided by the submitting organizations and may include mention of VTDigger staff, family and directors.

Use our self-service press release portal to promote it on VTDigger and reach our entire web and email readership.

About Margaret L. Portillo

Check Also

Singapore copyright law changes come into force

On November 21, 2021, Singapore’s amended Copyright Law came into force (Amended law). Important updates …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *