About the Art Journal
For more than 30 years, The arts journal covered the art world – and the world in which art occurs. We write about all the latest developments, but also analyze the most significant events and trends, examining how the international art and culture landscape shapes – and is shaped – by politics, society, economics , technology and the environment.
We serve an international audience, providing multi-channel access to breaking news, agenda surveys and thought-provoking ideas and opinions from around the world.
With correspondents working in over 30 countries, our expert and independent reports make us the most trusted resource for the art industry as well as collectors, art advisers, policy makers, artists, professionals museums and those who like to visit art fairs and exhibitions. The Art Newspaper benefits from being part of an international network of titles with editorial offices in London, New York, Paris, Turin, Athens, Moscow and Shanghai.
The Associate Editor works closely with publisher, Americas to execute editorial coverage in print and online of stories in or about the Americas region. They maintain contact with artists, galleries, museums, fairs, auction houses and event organisers. They work with the other divisions of the company, in particular the digital teams, trade fairs and partnerships, on specific projects.
The role comes with benefits (including a healthcare package) and an annual salary in the range of $50,000 to $60,000 depending on experience.
- Assist the Editor, Americas, with the day-to-day work and activities of the US-based editorial team, including daily online news coverage.
- Work with Publisher, Americas on creating content in the Americas, including developing and executing high profile content for TAN’s platforms.
- Assist with art market, fair and auction coverage as needed.
- Work with Publisher, Americas and Publisher Partnerships on the execution of US-based Fair Dailies and other special projects.
- Implement editorial activities to support the company’s growth ambitions in the region as required.
- Meet regularly with representatives of organizations from the commercial and associative sectors of the art world in the region.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Minimum of three years of experience in an editorial position in a large cultural publication or artistic desk of a national or regional newspaper
- Wide range of contacts in the world of visual arts, particularly in major markets in the Americas
- Knowledge of key institutions, individuals and dynamics of the commercial and non-profit art sectors in the region
- Proactive approach, does not wait to be asked, but actively seeks out and advances opportunities as they arise
- Ability to work with key stakeholders from a wide range of different backgrounds and cultures
This is a full-time position based in New York. Interested candidates should send a resume with a cover email with “Associate Editor” in the subject line explaining your suitability for the position to [email protected]
The Art Newspaper is an equal opportunity employer committed to building a fair workforce and promoting skilled individuals without regard to race, sex, color, ethnic origin, national origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, veteran status and others who are underrepresented in the cultural sector. Our application period will be open until we have a diverse and qualified candidate pool.